OK, hear me out here… I get that the ongoing title of this series has been “Sorted By Console”… but let’s face it… computers are pretty great too. In last week’s episode we waxed poetic about what it was like in the latter part of the millennium once we had access to the internet… but you know… even before the internet, computers were pretty great. And so in today’s episode, we’re going to visit the joys of that period in computational recreation – the period where we grew accustomed to DOS and mice that would inevitably clog up with hair. Some of our all-time favourites can be found deeper inside this written entry.
- * Basically the entirety of the “Quest” series of games by Sierra, including King’s Quest, Space Quest, Police Quest, and Quest for Glory
- * Sid Meier’s Civilization (hey, this one was good on SNES too!)
- * Barbarian: The Ultimate Warrior
- * Atari ST
- * Leisure Suit Larry
- * Star Trek: 25th Anniversary
- * Interplay’s 10 Year Anthology: Classic Collection – which included both the above mentioned Star Trek, as well as Out of this World (Another World).
- * Bio Menace
- * ZZT – Oh, hey! There’s Quest for Glory fan games using ZZT as a base!
- * Hugo III, Jungle of Doom!
- * Wolfenstein 3D
- * Doom II
- * Heretic
- * Descent
- * Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
- * Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers
- * oh… and that last part of gaming nostalgia… Zellers and K-Mart